Zimbabwean politician Linda Tsungirirai Masarira unveiled the top leadership of her new party the Labour Economists and African Democrats (LEAD) in Harare on Saturday, 1 June 2019
PovoNews.com previously reported that Masarira formed LEAD in April 2019 after being fired as the spokesperson of the MDC-T by Thokozani Khupe for wearing Zanu PF regalia with President Mnangagwa’s face.
Masarira also launched LEAD’s ideology handbook, a 5-year strategic plan and announced the party’s national council which she leads as party president.
During his speech at the party’s launch, LEAD’s VP Ndlovu said he was confident Masarira would be Zimbabwe’s first female president.
The former trade unionist was arrested multiple times for her activism during ex-president Robert Mugabe’s rule including an 80-day stint in Chikurubhi Maximum Prison.
Masarira was initially a member of the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) under Morgan Tsvangirai before joining Tendai Biti’s breakaway PDP party and eventually Khupe’s MDC-T.
LEAD Zimbabwe leadership
- President: Linda Masarira
- Vice President: Patrick Ndhlovu
- Chairperson: Caro Rwafa
- Vice-Chairperson: Morgan Ndhlovu
- Secretary-General: Sydney Muyambi
- Vice Secretary-General: Laura Mutasa
- Treasurer-General: Adamson Banda
- Organising Secretary: Kevin Muzhunga
- Vice Organising Secretary: Tapiwa Matatsva
- Secretary for Information and Publicity: Musa Kapena
- Vice Secretary for Information and Publicity: Clayton Masekesa
- LEAD Youth Assembly leader: Chiedza Yakobe
- LEAD Women’s Assembly leader: Chenai Jani
Pictures from LEAD’s press conference
LEAD press statement
Linda Tsungirirai Masarira short biography
- Born in Harare (1983)
- BA Peace and governance (UZ)
- Former President of the Train workers Union (2008-13)
- Former Technician at the National Railways of Zimbabwe (NRZ)
- Founder of Zimbabwe’s Women in Politics Alliance
- Arrested multiple times for her political activism
- Unsuccessfully contested the Harare Central MP seat in 2018
- Zimrights Female Human Rights Defender of the year 2016